For the Good of the Gulf: UNC Law Winter/Spring Break Pro Bono Project

Thursday, December 21, 2006

The lower 9th ward....

... isn't there anymore.

This afternoon one of the lawyers from The Pro Bono Project of New Orleans drove with us outside the islands of urban normalcy we've become accustomed to in the business district and the French Quarter. We saw some of the hardest hit areas and they hit pretty hard.

Personally, I'm from Eastern North Carolina and I've seen my share of hurricanes. And I was on the Gulf Coast immediately following Katrina. I've seen a little meteorological nastiness.

But this looked like a bomb had gone off.

There are blocks of houses that just aren't there anymore, front porch steps leading to nothingness, and this afternoon there were UNC law students walking through it and we were pretty quiet.

I've shot some pictures and some short videos on my camera. I'll be posting them as soon as I get back home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home