For the Good of the Gulf: UNC Law Winter/Spring Break Pro Bono Project

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

For the Good of the Gulf: UNC Law Winter Break Pro Bono Project

For the Good of the Gulf: UNC Law Winter Break Pro Bono Project
Upon reflecting over my experience in New Orleans, I find it hard to articulate that which we witnessed and I am immediately assailed by a number of clichés (to which I will attempt not to succumb) when I try to accurately describe what we saw and learned. The destruction and loss was saddening in a way my prose could never do justice. However, I was equally touched by the spirit and tenacity of the people of New Orleans. Imagine, if you will, the final scene in The Grinch when the Grinch’s heart grew three sizes that day—that’s how I felt listening to the stories recounted by the families, lawyers, and judges who, in addition to everything else they’re doing, gave of their time to us. Therefore, I wanted to share a few of my favorite things from New Orleans.

Favorite Things

10. Café du Monde (it’s still up and running. There’s no better way to start your day than with a plate full of fried dough and powdered sugar.)
9. Fresh French bread at Dorignac’s
8. New Orleans hospitality (The parents of a UNC 3L invited us all over to their house and fed 16 hungry students an amazing meal!)
7. Desire Café (I asked if they had refills on coke. The waiter said before Katrina they charged for refills, but now he didn’t care and filled us all up.)
6. Pat O’s. The restaurant is still closed, but the bar is up and running with piano shows a few nights a week.
5. Drive thru daiquiri shops (according to Ellen it’s not an open container if the straw is in the bag.
4. Seafood galore!
3. Did I mention New Orleans hospitality? We stayed with the most gracious family imaginable—they were repairing the ground floor of their home (which had six of water) and yet were kind enough to take in our motley crew.
2. po-boys (these speak for themselves)
1. Laissez les bon temps roulez encore (banner in downtown New Orleans)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home